Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Concert Crazy

I love going to concerts!  I went to the Rascal Flatts concert a couple weeks ago.  Another teacher and I snuck out of Parent Teacher Conferences early to go to the show.  It's hard to be a responsible teacher sometimes when it interferes with my social life!
  I was a bit surprised when I found out that Jessica Simpson would be the opening act.  I was very disappointed as she started out singing "These Boots are Made for Walking" wearing heels.  It just felt so wrong.  Rascal Flatts was amazing!  Not only did they sound great but they were also pretty funny.  The stage set up and lighting was fabulous as well.  

This past Monday I went to see Donavon Frankenreiter at the Depot with a group of friends (Gary Jules opened).  I only knew one or two of his songs before the concert, I really went for the social aspect and I love live music.  I left the concert a big fan and have already bought 2 of his albums.  I like how my friend Alli described the conert on her blog "Both were looking super homeless but super attractive too which is all a little bit ironical.  I don't know what it is about a guy and a guitar.  He could be the ugliest guy in town but as soon as he starts singin' I'm a goner." I couldn't agree with her more.  It was my first time going to a concert at the Depot.  I liked the smaller space and the ability to actually see the band up close and personal along with great sound but I did feel a little out of my element.  We got funny looks from the bartender as we only ordered cokes.  My favorite was the 40+ year old woman in front of me who kept bending over to smoke pot.  At first I thought she was tying her shoe but when she stood up I could smell it very strong.  I think she would bend down, light up, take a hit, and then put it out.  Luckily it was towards the end of the concert.  People watching is a definite perk of going to concerts.  


A couple guys in our ward also put on a small concert for Kelli, Alli, and I in their basement a couple weekends ago.  Our ward always holds an Auction right before christmas to raise money for sub for santa.  Kelli purchased a personal love song from these guys in the ward.  After several months of anticipation they finally finished.  I felt honored to be part of the debut.  We showed up at their house expecting a corny song but left very impressed as they actually wrote a great song in addition they played several other songs that they have wrote.  I think they have great potential.  I'm trying to figure out a way to get my own personalized love song.  They are still trying to come up with a group name.  We suggested they call themselves "Chasing the Goods" in honor of "The Goods" which is the name of the group that Kelli, Alli, Kimi, and I started.  That's a story for another post sometime.  

2 comments:

WhiteFamily said...

Concerts are way fun! Looks like you had a good time. You should definitely check out plane tickets. We love visitors!

Jen said...

Sounds fun...a personal concert? Very cool.