Sunday, August 16, 2009

Goodbye/Good Riddance to my Gallbladder


About 4 or 5 years ago I became really sick during the summer. After having several tests done I found out that I had Ulcers and Gallstones. By the time the test results came back I was feeling much better. I wasn't sure which problem had made me so sick but at least I found out something. I was given medication for the Ulcers which must have healed but the gallstones were still a mystery to me.
Apparently those gallstones were just hanging out in my gallbladder and from time to time decided to remind me that they were there. Every few months or so for the last several years I would have a gallbladder attack. Out of the blue, usually in the wee hours of the night/morning I would wake up with the worst pain. It felt like maybe I was having a heart attack. It was a shooting pain in the upper right region of my abdomen and it hurt straight through to my back. The pain was absolutely miserable during the attack and would generally subside after about 2 hours or so. The worst part was that they almost always occurred during the middle of the night when I would much rather be sleeping and of course came at some of the most inopportune times like Christmas Day or when I had something big to do the next day. (it's not like there is a good time to be in pain though right?) Usually I would try to just endure the pain because I was pretty certain it was a gallbladder attack. A couple times I ended up going to the E.R. and sure enough as soon as I would get to the hospital the pain would start to diminish and I felt stupid for going in. The doctors usually would say the same thing that some day I would most likely have to have my gallbladder removed. Last December after an attack I went into the doctor that afternoon and the doctor finally recommended that I meet with a surgeon to talk about possibly getting it done. But I never followed through. It was mid school year and I didn't have the time to have it done so I never made the appointment. I should have known it was only a matter of time before it would happen again. Sure enough in mid July I had another gallbladder attack and endured it early one morning but when it occured again just a couple days later I had my mom take me to the hospital at about 4 in the morning. Luckily I was at my parents home at the time so my mom could give me the sympathy I needed. Of course the doctor told me the same thing so I decided I better just get the blasted thing out so I could quit having these attacks.
So last Monday on August 10th I had the surgery. I had it done in Logan so that I could be at my parents house for the recovery and they could take care of me (there's nothing like a mom when you need some TLC). I went into the hospital at 10 am and left around 6:30 in the evening. I felt bad having my mom take a day off of work, especially since she had taken some days off the week before to help Jessica move. I told her she didn't need to and I could just have my dad pick me up when the surgery was over. Good thing she didn't listen to me and took the day off anyway because as I was coming out of the anesthetic it was pretty rough and it was so nice to have her there to hold my hand and give me the support and help I needed. I love my dad but he just wouldn't have treated me the same, I don't think he would have held up the bag for me while I was throwing up or helped me to the bathroom (that would be awkward). I took my Grandma Reese to the hospital with me that morning because she had an eye appointment and my mom was going to take her home after the appointment but she insisted on staying with me as well. She was a trooper and stayed the whole time with absolutely nothing to due but wait. It was nice having her there as well and she took good care of me that night and the next couple days at home. The surgeon told my mom when he was done that my gallbladder was really infected and there were several stones, one that was quite large that he had to work extra hard to break down so he could remove it. Luckily he didn't have to move to an open surgery. It made me feel good to know that the surgery was really necessary in the end. It was done laparoscopic and I have 4 different incisions but they're all quite small. Unfortunately I don't think there will be any wicked scars that I can show my children someday:) It took a good two days of rest but by the third day I was feeling much better. Good thing because I really only gave myself one week to recover before I have to head back to school. I'm still sore but I'm hoping that will go away soon. All in all it hasn't been too bad. Good Riddance Gallbladder!!!

4 comments:

Emily said...

Glad that everything went OK and you are recovering! Good luck with the new school year!

Fantastic Five said...

That is crazy how translucent your skin is Mo, I could see all your organs so clearly! Did you have to Dr. look at that? :) I know I am a dork.

Glad it all went well!!

Jen said...

Well, if you endured that pain so many times, just think what a breeze childbirth will be someday!
I am so proud of you again. Masters. Surgery. No cheerleading. Way to reclaim your life.

Mrs. Budge said...

Amen to Reagan and Jennie's comments! Reagan you are too funny. I just wish they would have let you keep the gallbladder, I really want to see what they look like and not in a silly cartoon picture. I think we should get all unnecessary organs removed at birth.