Wednesday, August 12, 2009

So Long Statistics

I've finally decided that it is time to head back to school and work on a Masters Degree. It took me awhile to decide what kind of degree I wanted but I think I've decided to go for a Degree in School Counseling. I figure this way it will expand my horizons a little bit and if I get tired of the classroom, which hopefully won't be for awhile yet, then I will have another avenue. I was really hoping to start the program this fall but unfortunately a few pre-requisites have gotten in the way. So in May I started a Statistics 2000 Class. I was totally dreading this class and it could be one of the reasons I have put off starting a masters program for so long. I decided to take an online class through Utah State so that I could work it around my schedule a little easier. I have not had a math class since my senior year in high school when I took Math 1050 concurrent enrollment. I never was too bad at math but I knew that math would be a lot different in College than it was in High school. After the first assignment in the class I wondered what I had gotten myself into and was seriously contemplating dropping the class. Especially since it took me about 9 hours or more to do one assignment. I even had to work on an assignment while in Palm Springs with friends over Memorial weekend. This class really interfered with my social life but somehow I became committed. I kept plugging away and I actually was doing really well on the assignments which was boosting my confidence and helped me to endure. I don't think that I have ever read a textbook more thoroughly. I rarely read any textbooks while I was working on my bachelors and I somehow got through ok but it wouldn't slide in this class. The textbook for this statistics class was really my only source of information since there was no classroom lecture. Luckily there was a discussion board online so we could post questions and answer questions with other students. Needless to say I took my final on July 31st and I was so excited to have that Stats class over with and the best part was that I got an A- in the class. I needed at least a B so I was especially thrilled to do better than I expected. Yeah Me!
This fall I am taking 2 psychology classes and I am hoping that they will be a little bit easier. If any of you would like to contribute to my education fund donations are gladly being accepted! Unfortunately I think the Richard L. Nielsen Scholarship fund has run out:( I can't imagine why?

4 comments:

Fantastic Five said...

Yeah - Congratulations fellow student! Yuck on starting off with Statistics though. I am in my sixth class and it just so happens to be Educational Research. I have had my taste of statistics/research and I am done! One more week of this class though so I have to just keep plowing through. Best of luck on all your classes, and if you get contributors, send some of them my way as well.

Alli said...

Congrats Mo! I have dear memories of you sitting at the table in Palm Springs in the wee hours of the morning. Yay for being done!

Jen said...

Weirdly I enjoyed stats. I am so proud of you! I know you can do it...if you'll leave school at a normal hour each day! Really. I mean it. Go home already!

Mrs. Budge said...

I am so proud of you, but sadly after observing your experience I am very traumatized and as a result may never pursue my masters, way to go...you have ruined my future plans.