Sunday, April 12, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me!

My 29th birthday was on Thursday April 9th.  The day started out pretty great with breakfast at one of my favorite places The Original Pancake House.  Luckily my first class on B days is Cheer so we went to breakfast to celebrate!  It was delicious, and of course I had to order the Chocolate Chip Pancakes. 
 I always have a lot of fun with these cheerleaders. Can you believe that not one of them offered to pay for my meal?  I honestly wasn't expecting it, I know them well enough to know better. In fact I shared my meal with one of the girls who didn't have enough money.  Typical of teenagers.
My students also knew it was my birthday and several of them brought treats to class so the celebration lasted 2 days as we are on a block schedule with A/B day classes.  One girl asked to go to the bathroom and just happened to come back with donuts:) In another class a boy made brownies with frosting and sprinkles, unfortunately they were hard as a rock and the rest of the class laughed at me as I was sawing them out of the pan.  They did taste good, just extra crunchy, plus the frosting was about an inch thick so they were extra sweet. It's the thought that counts right!  So needless to say I got a lot of junk food from students and a lot of begging to do nothing since it was my birthday and they didn't want to make me work on my birthday, I of course gave in and we had a movie day in most of my classes.  I rarely do that plus it was right before Spring Break and a lot of students were already gone.    The day before my birthday one of my students wrote this on the white board "Happy Birthday Monique! Sweet 29.  She likes bright colors, (I can't remember what she wrote here), and Men.  Anyone who has a brother or Uncle that is 29 or older please have them call Monique at ######."  
I thought it was pretty funny so I didn't erase it (they begged me not to) and it led to funny conversations with my students.  I did make her change the age of the brother or uncle because I told her I didn't want any men that were super old calling me so she changed it to 25-35.  I have two beautiful black Somalian girls in my 4th period who are cousins.  One of them got so excited and wondered if she could seriously set me up with her Uncle.  On Friday I did get a call from their Uncle.  He is their Guardian on the school records, I'm sure it's because their mother doesn't speak English, at first he was asking about their grade and how they were doing in class but before I knew it he was asking me if I wanted to go to dinner or lunch sometime and he was asking for my number.  Not sure how this is going to play out, it could be very interesting.  I'm worried that they have set their expectations too high.  I guess I should be flattered that they think highly enough of me to set me up with their Uncle.  Oh I love that my students are always trying to be matchmakers.

During lunch I had a surprise visit from all of my nieces and nephews (minus Tyce he was still asleep in the daycare) and my 2 sisters Jessica and Mandy.  They brought me balloons and Tulips.

That evening I went to dinner at Red Rock in downtown Salt Lake with all of my family.  I was excited as my Parents, Mandy and her kids, and Ramsey and Ashley all came down from Logan to celebrate with me! 
My dad didn't think they were going to make it down for my birthday so he had bought some cupcakes to send down with Mandy.  I was happy that he hand delivered them instead.  There were only 6 so he said there was one for me and each of the grandkids.  I'm glad that I at least got one.  The kids loved them especially the frosting!
Sydnee loved the frosting so much she had to lick it out of the container.  
As usual all the little girls wanted to sit on my moms lap which was creating a big fight.  I was giving them the guilt trip that they should be fighting to sit by me since it was my birthday.  Taya always the sensitive and thoughtful one did come and sit on my lap since it was my birthday.  Sydnee and Taya are on this kick lately that I am the Coolest Aunt Ever! I wonder where they got that idea from?  I know I really am the coolest Aunt and sure do love spending time with these kids. 
Mandy and the girls were spending the night at Little America so I had a sleepover with them.  We had a lot of fun swimming at the hotel with Jessica's family as well.  Taya was so sad that she couldn't stay and swim (she has some weird skin thing that is contagious so she can't swim until it's cleared up).  It was a great birthday.  Thanks to everyone who called, e-mailed, sent messages on facebook, or came to visit me! One more year left in my twenties, I guess I'll have to live it up.  

6 comments:

WhiteFamily said...

Happy Belated Birthday Monique! Glad you had fun and were able to celebrate big! That's funny about the matchmaking...you'll have to let us know how the big date goes!

Stephanie said...

Happy Birthday Monique. What a great day you had. You are so lucky to be able to spend it will all your family. Your nieces are so cute and fun to watch. Keep us posted on the blind date, hey it worked for Melissa and Chris. Sounds like you have fun students.

Kristie said...

It was fun to see all you guys on Saturday. Love that new car! You are a great teacher, niece, aunt, sister, daughter, cousin, etc. etc. We all love ya. Happy 29th Birthday

Jen said...

Happy Birthday. I never remembered to call you on Thursday. Loser me. It was fun to meet Mandy. I LOVE Red Rock! My favorite place. Wish I knew someone to tell to call you.

Julie said...

Happy Birthday! Sorry it is a few days late... You share a birthday with two of my nephews and a niece! What a great day for a party... sorry you were in school but it sounds like you had fun anyway. Are you doing cheer next year? Take care and keep posting! I love to see what you are up to!

Karlyn said...

I'm bummed I didn't get to be there to help you celebrate! You'll have to send me an invite to the weddin after all these big dates work out! haha